Saturday, November 14, 2009

Alma Mater

xcyflawxys outing to our alma mater, with a bf in tow. Haha, ok, I shall not be so bad, let me rephrase.

xcyflawxys and nic went to IJTP together!(:

It was a trip back to our beginnings, to the place which brought us together. The compound is new, relatively(shifted back from holding school in 2005), the first time there for a few of us. Nonetheless, memories and old happenings came flooding into our minds. We went on a school tour under several cute sec. 3 guides and gushed over the new facilities/additions, thinking how great it would be if we were born a few years later. Our excitement was at its peak when we arrived at the Technical Block (Tech. Block for short, now named as the St. Michael Block). It contained much of our memories- our sec. 2 classroom, art room, d&t room, dance studio(retreats), emo corner, and the level 2 toilet (for chin and me).

The IJ now is more artsy than before. The AEP is well-established and there are many student artworks on display today, as well as the art pieces on the walls, already incorporated into the school's design. Now, let me do a little confession, I was consciously looking out for my artworks while walking around, and to my pleasure, I saw my acrylic and wood pencil holder on display outside the d&t room. Well, it isn't my best 'masterpiece'... I was hoping to see the others, like the paper cutting I did for the sec.2 final assignment... Ok, enough of this, I feel so thick-skinned now. Haha.

One thing that left a deep impression on me is the Chinese opera performance put up by current IJ girls. You did see right, it's Chinese opera. Since when do IJ girls like Chinese culture/language? There are even rooms set aside for Mother Tongue languages. I'm skeptically amazed. Back to the previous point, the opera performance is not fantastic but it is very commendable of the teachers and students who are involved in this CCA. I'm pleasantly amazed after seeing it. Apart from being impressed, I feel hopeful towards the future of Chinese culture/language in IJ. I actually do see a future it IJ. I actually think that I can go back there, and teach. It's just a thought now though. No promises.

It's great to be back. It's better than great cos we went back together. And it feels really great to know that I may return again in the near future. (:

6 comments:

gelloche said...

Oh really you are!? Gee. That would have been so nice Wen Lao Shi.

gelloche said...

Oh and, thought of you when i heard of kitty lab. hahaha but yes the tickets are really expensive!

XiuWen, XiuBoon, Boon said...

calling me "wen lao shi" gives me goosebumps.haha.

ya, im on my way to become a teacher. hope nothing pops up and makes me wanna change course again. going back to teach in ij is sth to consider...

XiuWen, XiuBoon, Boon said...

i keep thinking about hello kitty today, must be because im so kitty-under-satisfied.

strene said...

oh why did u go back IJ? i wanted to go hello kitty lab too! sobs*

XiuWen, XiuBoon, Boon said...

there was a celebration for IJ's 155th anniversary. I saw ms yap, she's still the same, so is mrs low. the best part is the school tour, gave us an opportunity to have a closer look at the new compound.

kitty lab will be around until end of this month, but now's the exam period.. and i really think the entrance fee is very ex lor. i keep thinking about hello kitty these days. haha.