Monday, September 6, 2010

The First

There has always been this saying on how the first is the most unforgettable, treasured and prized over the subsequent(s). I think this applies not only to bgr but also to all things in general, say, house, car, branded bag and notebook.

I am now using my old notebook for this entry. Don is his name and he is my first notebook. He has lived to a ripe old age of 4 and counting. With a 1GB ram after a free upgrade, no doubt he is slow by today's standards but as he was booting up this morning, it suddenly struck me that he can be a good partner for practising patience, something which I tend to lose easily these days.

He takes his own sweet time to boot up, to display the windows which I opened, to response to the commands of the mouse while I walk around, clearing up the mess on my bookshelves and desk and enjoy my cup of yoghurt. Together, we are a perfect scene of a serene and slow morning which I'm about to bid farewell to next week.

Recollecting the days in June when I made trips to NUS (twice) and Kallang just to get Don's faulty cooling fan fixed, it was one dark memory. After surviving long, lonely journeys and waiting time, enduring the tormenting blend of hope and disappointment and spending over a hundred dollars on his "medical fees", Don was finally cured. He is now living on a prolonged life and basically, in retirement as the newcomer Cole is here to take over his duties.

I call them Grandpa Don and Baby Cole. (Please ignore the skipping of the middle generation.)

The first might not last and is probably not the last but feelings and memories of the first will always be etched in our hearts, to remind us of our old selves, to support when we are too apprehensive to move forward and for the unfortunate souls, to spring attacks on them when they are least guarded. This is the privilege as the first.

The first, always the first, the irreplaceable first, the hateful, lovely first.

6 comments:

Justine 林诗琬 said...

beautifully written, honey :)

I'm jealous that you had such a great morning with Don ^_^ I haven't seen him in a long time, probably won't get to see him again either..say hello for me ya :)

XiuWen, XiuBoon, Boon said...

Hi Sugar, wow, you're still reading my blog, how sweet of you! :)

Don seldom gets out to play these days.. I don't have the luxury of doing things slowly ever since I started working. I miss the days of being a student, when there aren't so many responsibilities...

Justine 林诗琬 said...

haha coz you're a great blogger, reading a great article is like a luxury which is hard to come by nowadsys :)

I hope you will do great in your pro career :) and be patient! ^_^ What doesn't kill you makes you stronger :)

Come visit whenever you can, NUS is still pretty much the same :)

XiuWen, XiuBoon, Boon said...

I'm close to being dead. If things doesn't change for the better soon, I won't have chance of becoming stronger.

I have no life now. NO LIFE. Anywhere further than 2 stations from my home is far. Sigh.

I hope you are enjoying yourself Shi Wan. Working isn't fun at all.

Justine 林诗琬 said...

Ya i thought/knew i wasn't ready for working life, so i chose to study..if somehow you do survive, you get a chance to go to NTU haha...maybe it will be a great breather for ya :)

Or you can always come back here for studies. I heard Hui Yee is going to enroll in next semester :)

The first phase is always the toughest...

Justine 林诗琬 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.