Friday, December 26, 2008

where are the christmas cards?

It was a gloomy period for my mailbox, and a boring one too, compared to the past glorious days it experienced once.

Several years ago, there was email which saw to the sharp decrease in festive and birthday cards. Then SMS came along, further bringing down the possibility of receiving and sending cards of all occasions.

This year, the count of Christmas cards on the day itself was a big fat zero. Plenty of SMSes there were. But none could fill up the void left behind by the colourful and glittery cards I have received and carefully collected over the years.

It was especially disheartening for me, a self-proclaimed card-maker/card-lover, that I myself failed to stick to the tradition of sending out handmade Christmas cards this year. Sure, I bought some materials weeks ago and managed to churn out six cards out of the original ten-over I intended to make. It is definitely not the scenario I imagined myself to be in. I'm such a disappointment.

The excitement of opening the mailbox to find short stacks of cards in it. It is gone for good, right? Let me lament the loss. I want to do it and make myself guilty enough to pick up the practice again next year.

No comments: